Saturday, August 6, 2011

Talking about death IS constitutional

I plan to develop this post more later, but for now, a "Melody Thomas-Morgan" posted in the local Prescott newspaper that "death threats are unconstitutional." She is wrong.

Turns out that the Ninth Circuit recently ruled that one can talk about the death of another, even talk about 50 caliber bullets and a candidate for President of the United States, but that is Protected Speech under the First Amendment. See this article, "Threatening To Kill Then-Candidate Obama Is Protected Speech."

Now, I would never condone threatening to kill someone. But if such a threat is protected speech under the First Amendment, then surely other speech that someone might not like—for example, suggesting someone might have committed the sin of adultery—must also surely be protected under the First Amendment.

I remember someone explaining this to cheating judge Mary Hamm at an Injunction Against Harassment hearing. Our guys said,
Yes, ma'am, since Mrs. [Melody] Bodine just opened the door for religion and God, and the Court has shut me down each time, but you've allowed her to go, I would like to state for the record, ma'am, that this is a very dangerous First Amendment issue. The Court knows from the evidence submitted that I am a Christian evangelical minister.

Yes, it is my job to tell people unpleasant things in the name of God. I have not threatened anyone with any physical violence. That would be un-Christian and un-Biblical.I have, as Mrs. Bodine said, I have not approached her at all. I've been very circumspect because I believe in Biblical headship to stay out of her marriage. It's not my place. Where others have gone to rebuke her, long time family friends, I have not.

It seems to me that we're on a very dangerous edge here of First Amendment, not just freedom of speech but freedom of exercise of religion. It is my religious duty as an evangelist, and as a Christian who loves other Christians, to warn people when they err. That is in the Bible, the Bible is full of people rebuking. In fact, it's a command in both the Old and the New Testament that we are to rebuke our neighbors when they were in sin and error.

Rebuking for sin may be uncomfortable. We do it because we love others. We believe they are on their way to hell if they do not repent.

Yes, sometimes you get punched in the face because you tell people the truth. That is not harassment.

It would be harassment if they said, "I don't want to hear it anymore." Mrs. Bodine has never approached me, and never needed to because I never approached her, and told me, "Don't talk to me. Don't come near me." I never have, and she has testified to that.

Have I written to others about her? Yes. I could write my comments about, pardon me, but the judge on her website. That is not harassment I'm entitled to my opinions, as unpleasant as they may be to some.
Wow! How prophetic! I could be a judge in the Ninth Circuit! (I read in the Bible I will be a judge someday. Might as well start practicing now.)

Yet the cheating judge Mary Hamm pulled out the ol' stupid "You can't cry fire in crowded theater" analogy.

I say she is "Off Point."

There is currently a federal civil rights lawsuit against judge Hamm for this.

Hey, judge Hamm? You've been overruled.

No comments: